Il “The “Bachelor Degree in Business with Specialization in Management for Yacht Captains” was designed with the aim to relaunch the skills and credibility in the global market of people who work in the Italian maritime sector and to guarantee quality and protect the professionalism of captains and also of those who wish to enter this sector. A formation course that will allow certifying the managerial ability of the captain in all phases of the yacht’s life: from design and construction to refit.
Bachelor Degree in Business Administration with Specialization in Management for Yacht Captains
Who can apply?
Professionals of the maritime sector with years of experience in the field who have not earned a degree, but wish to do so without having to restudy everything they have already learned and have recognized up to 50% of their previous work experience as part of the degree program;
Students entering their first-degree program in the area of yachting management, experimenting with innovative learning approaches such as work-based learning to also acquire the skills and experiences required by the employment market and allowing them to be more effective in their professional integration
Students who already have a previous degree and are looking for a career change and aspire to become acquainted with the yachting management sector
Why should you apply?
Given the notable presence of Maltese flags in yachting, GY Academy (with Headquarters in Malta) – in collaboration with the ISYL Foundation (Italian Superyacht Life) and NAVIGO, a nautical innovation and development company – has developed the bachelor’s degree with an innovative study program that implements new methods such as:
Recognition of Prior Learning
Students enrolled in the program have the possibility to request GY ACADEMY the recognition of previous knowledge and skill the student has gained through formal learning (training, workshops, seminars, etc. ) and non – formal learning (workplace-related), allowing them to reduce the time of studying for the bachelor degree to up to 50% ( from 3 years to 1year and half)
Work based learning
Students have the unique opportunity to experience in practice what has been learned during the bachelor as they will learn how to facilitate daily interactions, work and brainstorming while working on-site in shipyards with professionals. Furthermore, they will acquire not just a bachelor’s degree but also the work experience requested by the employment market and making them more successful in securing a job in the sector.
Employability in sectors beyond Yachting
By the end of the bachelor program, students may be employed in various professions such as shipyard manager, recreational tourism, marine consultancy, business or economic development, entrepreneur, project management, yacht management, business development, Pleasure Craft management, operations supervisor, security operations coordinator, sales manager
The course is held partly online and partly through specific work experiences: the future of higher education allows students to be more flexible and to work and study at the same time wherever they are.
GY Academy also offers the possibility of short courses, officially recognized, lasting between 6 months and 1 year:
These short courses are addressed to individuals who would like to acquire more knowledge in the Yachting sector either to advance in their career or to change career, without obtaining a bachelors degree. The courses provided are:
1. Undergraduate Certificate in Maritime Business (30 ECTS)
It consists of the following study units: Managerial Organization and Leadership; New Market Solutions – YARE; Maritime English; Maritime Economics; Project and Operations Management;
Course duration: 6 months
2. Undergraduate Certificate in Martimie Entrepreneurship (30 ECTS)
It consists of the following study units: Managerial Organization and Leadership; New Market Solutions – YARE; Maritime English; Entrepreneurship; Marketing;
Course duration: 6 months
3. Undergraduate Certificate in Maritime Economy (32 ECTS)
It consists of the following study units: Financial Accounting; Introduction to Economica; Maritime Economics; New Market Solutions – YARE; Legal Concepts and Maritime Law; Maritime Economics;
Course duration: 6 months
4. Undergraduate Certificate in Maritime Marketing and Communication (32 ECTS)
It consists of the following study units: Communication and Public Relations; Marketing; New Market Solutions – YARE; Marketing; Naval Architecture, Ship and Yacht theory; Maritime English; People Management;
Course duration: 6 months
5. Undergraduate Diploma in Management for Yacht Captains (62 ECST)
It consists of the following study units: Managerial Organization and Leadership; New Market Solutions – YARE; Maritime English; Maritime Economics; Project and Operations Management; Saftey and Security Management in the Maritime Sector part 1; Safety and Security Management in the Maritime Sector part 2; Marketing; Naval Architecture, Ship and Yachting theory;
Course duration: 1 year
*New Market Solutions – YARE consists in the participation of the students to the Yare (Yachting Aftersales and Refit Experience) conference on the future of the market and nautical district promotional events, an international Superyacht meeting between Captains and the refit industry in Viareggio (Italy) and its nautical district dedicated to Superyacht Sector. YARE will host 100 superyacht captains (with an increasing number of people on board yachts over 60 mt LOA) from all over the world who will meet an equal number of international aftersales and refit companies in B2B meetings.
1.Completed secondary education (Level 5 EQF) matriculation examination or vocational qualification (level 5 MQF) possibly related to subjects like economy, business, finance as well as navigation; no particular grades are requested for such subjects but applicants might ask GY Academy relevant staff to assess their educational and professional profile in order to evaluate whether they have the right ability to succeed as well as recognition of prior learning, in line with GY Academy IQA and RPL Policy.
- Should demonstrate at least 1 year of ‘seagoing service’ [reference: STCW Convention, International Convention on Standard of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for seafarers, 1978, point 26] with official documentation (e.g. for Malta or the UK the “Seamen’s Discharge Book”; for Italy the “libretto di navigazione e estrattomatricola”; etc); for those students who already have a previous degree and are looking for a career change and aspire to become an entrepreneur. GY Academy relevant staff will assess the documentation compliance in order to evaluate whether they have the minimum navigation experience needed to complete the Bachelor programme.
3.Level of English requested is B2 for the English Language Edition of the course; the level of Italian requested is B2 for the Italian Language Edition of the course; the level of English or Italian can be assessed by an independent commission composed by language experts or, alternatively, can be proved with independent English/Italian evaluations (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL CELI, CILS etc.).
Bachelor Degree Course Details
- Full time: 3 years
- MQF Level 6
Credits needed to earn the bachelor’s degree:
- 180 ECTS
- partly online and partly through specific work experiences
First Year – 60 ECTS
- Applied Mathematics (7 ECTS)
- Financial Accounting (7 ECTS)
- Introduction to Economics (6 ECTS)
- Managerial Organization and Leadership (8 ECTS)
- Communication and Public Relations (4 ECTS)
- Entrepreneurship (5ECTS)
- Business Law (5 ECTS)
- New Market Solution – YARE (3 ECTS)
- Marketing (10 ECTS)
- Naval Architecture, Ship and Yachting Theory with management of pleasure craft (5 ECTS)
Second Year -60 ECTS
1.Maritime English (4 ECTS)
2.Legal Concepts and Maritime Law (7 ECTS)
3.Maritime Economics (8 ECTS)
4.Information and Technology Management (5 ECTS)
5.People Management (6 ECTS)
6.Project and Operations Management (7 ECTS)
7.Safety and Security Management in the maritime sector part 1 (12 ECTS)
8.Safety and Security Management in the maritime sector part 2 (6 ECTS)
9.Search and Rescue (5 ECTS)
Third Year – 60 ECTS
- General Data Protection – GDPR (3 ECTS)
- Business Process and Management Techniques for Operations (6 ECTS)
- Work-Based Learning (17 ECTS)
- Academic Research (4 ECTS)
- Dissertation (30 ECTS)
Program Learning Outcomes
By attending this program, the students will gain the following skills, knowledge and competences:
- Students develop Entrepreneurial, Business, Leadership and Management skills;
- The students develop an entrepreneurial mindset and a commercial way of thinking on how to apply new ideas, methods, and perspectives to yachting businesses and projects;
- Students will gain a managerial sense and business approach through their knowledge of advanced quality processes and general principles of performance management, yachting oriented
- The students learn to apply logical and rational methods in complex and variegated business-related situations in the field of yachting and management as they attain analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Students will be exposed to standard and innovative strategies and their implementation, as well as how to adapt leadership approaches/practices in a various business and organizational context, yachting field-oriented;
- Students will be exposed to Safety and Security management issues at an advanced level to face any possible situation from a professional and ethical perspective.
- Students will critically define markets and creatively apply marketing concepts and principles using a customer focus to effectively sell products and services.
- Students will gain a managerial sense and business approach through their knowledge of advanced quality processes and general principles of performance management, yachting oriented;
- Students will be equipped with all the necessary tools for success in approaching complex safety and security maritime challenges, identifying, analysing and evaluating situations, ideas and information in order to figure out any possible problem.
- Students will be able to share leadership and responsibility, work cooperatively, and get along with co-workers having acquired proper Yachting Management tools and mindsets;
- Manage a business project, responsibly and autonomously, in their own organization as entrepreneurs or in a different one as intrapreneurs.
- Students manage a yachting project from conception to launch through having a complete vision
Teaching and Assesment
GY academy will utilise a flipped methodology whereby learners are directed to self-study and follow online instruction material on the platform. This will ensure that all material is covered adequately.
Lectures could mix theory and action learning methodologies such as term project assignment, i.e. case studies, papers, analytical works and so on.
Peer learning” will be strongly encouraged and proper virtual environment will be available to this end, provided by the online learning platform. Moreover, Learners will be able to be supported, tutored or supervised by teachers (or supervisors or tutors), according to what the single teacher will consider as most profitable for her/his specific module or discipline.
Each module could employ one or more of the followings:
- Portfolio:A portfolio is a collection of student works that exhibits her/his efforts, progress and achievements assessed on individual basis.
- Projects assignments: a project, a work (e.g. a numerical analysis on a spreadsheet) or a paper could be assigned to a student on an individual or team basis and evaluated individually.
- Examinations:classical evaluation form to assess individual outcomes. Each teacher could define proper details according to the particular discipline and teaching method.
Portfolios as well as Projects, Work or Paper assignments will be designed with a formative assessment perspective in order to support students to achieve relevant learning outcomes;